Though it is not necessary to register for the classes (with the exception of seminars), you have to register for the exams you want to take in order to get your credits. The HU uses the AGNES System, which offers some nice functions like class schedule, too. Please keep the deadlines: if you are not registered for an exam, you cannot participate and you will not get any credits!!!
Get a HU account
- First of all, you'll need to set up a HU account. For instructions how to do this, see Facilities!
- Furthermore, you need a TAN list which will be sent by the end of October resp. April by post (that is why it is important to state a correct address in Berlin!). If you have not received a TAN list by December resp. June, you can get one in the registrars office (SPA1, room 03).
Check the examination schedule
- The exact dates of the exams will be published around November resp. May followed by a certain period of enrollment. Registration for exams will be in December resp. June (exact dates see www.wiwi.hu-berlin.de/pa/termine - scroll page down).
Registration for exams at www.agnes.hu-berlin.de
- Use your cms account to sign in the AGNES Exam Enrollment System at www.agnes.hu-berlin.de
- Choose "Prüfungsan- und -abmeldung//Apply for exams"...
- Enter a TAN (this works like online banking)
- You will have to announce WHICH exams you want to take and WHEN you want to take it -- first round (end of February/March resp. end of July/August) or second round (beginning of April/October). You can choose second round even without trying it in the first.
- During the registration period you can register and deregister to as many exams as you like: only the last day of registration period counts!
- Here you can find a detailed step-by-step guide for the registration. You can switch to English inside the form.
Registration to the second round:
- After the first exam period, it is only possible to apply for the second round if you failed in the first round or in the case that you were sick (doctoral excuse, see below).
- There is no automatic system that will register you again for the 2nd round, you have to register by yourself!
Check the room and date
- The exams do not necessarily take place in the same room the lectures take place. Please check at the following link to which room you have to go (scroll page down to see PDF files): www.wiwi.hu-berlin.de/pa/anmeldungen (Prüfungsteilnehmerlisten)
Take the exam -- your International Office team is crossing their fingers for you!!
(that means you registered and do not want to take it anymore)
- With a doctoral excuse for this day because you are sick, which means that this course will not appear in the transcript at all; in this case you can register for the second exam round.
- By dropping the course 5 working days before the exam (deregistering at www.agnes.hu-berlin.de), again nothing on the transcript – it is called “to withdraw the registration”; in this case you can’t register for the second round.
Good to know
- If you take an exam, it will definitely appear on the transcript.
- If you fail in the first round you can repeat it in the second round (you have to re-register!). In case you pass with your the second try, the fail will not appear on your transcript.
- A fail in the second round is irrevocable.
- It is possible to “delete the exam” during the exam (strike thorough), but then it is also a fail!
- If you've passed an exam, there is no option to repeat the exam in order to improve your grade.
- Registration for seminars at the institutes – no withdrawal possible afterwards (please mention the seminars on a registration form to inform the examination office).
After your stay in Berlin, you will receive an official Transcript of Records, a certificate which is issued at the end of a semester. It contains the lectures and seminars you attended as well as the corresponding grades and ECTS credit points earned during the semester. The transcript will also be important when you work with your home university on receiving credit for your courses at HU.
Once grades have been published -which will be in April/September (!!)- the registrar’s office will send the transcript to you (not to your home university). Please be aware that this can take up to two months!
In the meantime, you can check your personal grades in the AGNES-system (under Exams Extract / Leistungsspiegel). The grade distributions and the dates for the exam reviews are published here:www.wiwi.hu-berlin.de/pa/noten
If you take courses in other departments, other universities or at the HU Language Center (Sprachenzentrum), they will not appear on the Transcript of Records from the WiWi department. It is your responsibility to contact the professor to find out how to obtain a certificate of participation or a transcript.
How to get my transcript of records?
- As soon as all of your grades have been published (around April resp. September), the examination office will send the transcript to you (not to your home university)!
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "International ToR" containing: name, matriculation number, home university, private address in your home country (where the ToR should be sent then, e.g. parents ...), seminars (please state, if you are taking part in a seminar and which ones!)
If you do courses at other faculties or at the Sprachenzentrum: they will not appear at the ToR of our school. So talk to the teacher on how to get a certificate of participation or a transcript!!
Academic performance is assessed by grades/marks on a scale from 1.0 to 5.0. Additionally, each course carries a certain weighting, which is expressed in credit points. The more credit points a course or subject carries the more weight it provides towards the overall grade/mark.
You will get grades according to the German grading system. These grades will be translated to the ECTS system (A to E and F), probably as follows:
|German Grade||ECTS Grade|
|1.0 and 1.3||A|
|1.7 and 2.0||B|
|2.3 and 2.7||C|
|3.0 and 3.3||D|
|3.7 and 4.0||E|