Direkt zum InhaltDirekt zur SucheDirekt zur Navigation
▼ Zielgruppen ▼

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät

Career Services

So in the end, there really is a point to all this studying. It is everyone's hopes that the Wiwi Faculty alumni go on to find fantastic jobs. To help you get started on your way, consult the following career tips and services we have compiled for you.


Working as a Student in Berlin


Paid employment of students is subject to strict regulations because it must not impair studies. Whether and how long international students are permitted to be employed in Germany depends on the type of residence permit the individual student holds (see entry in passport).


Generally, international students are not allowed to be self-employed. This restriction does, however, not apply to students from 'old' EU member states.

Students from the 'old' EU countries, or from Liechtenstein, Norway and Iceland, on equal footing with German students, are allowed to take up student-type part-time or temporary jobs with no further restrictions. Yet studying must be the main emphasis. That is why they may work only for a maximum of 80 hours per month.

Students from the 'new' EU member states, which joined the community in May 2004, and all other international students are required to observe certain restrictions. They may work for a maximum of 90 'full' days (8 hours per day), or 180 'half' days (4 hours per day) in one year. Part-time employment of this kind does not require a work permit.

Internships for which payment is received are deemed to be student-type jobs and will be part of the 90 full or 180 half day total.

Student assistants (studentische Hilfskräfte) at university are considered to be of a special status. Since what they do in their jobs is closely linked to academic work the time restrictions mentioned above do not apply. Contracts allowing for paid work up to 80 hours per month can be concluded.

Students in student-type part-time employment are required to apply for an income tax card (Lohnsteuerkarte) to be obtained at the local Tax Office (Finanzamt).

Life after HU (Degree Students)

We have been told that there is a life after studying. As a matter of fact, HU even made some arrangements to support you not only during your studies, but also assist you where it can once you are graduated.

HU's Career Center

The Career Center at Humboldt-Universität offers courses leading to career-related additional qualifications, information sessions on entering careers, job application training courses and personal advice on career issues. Besides, there is a job portal for students and graduates.
Humboldt students may use courses offering career-related further education (Berufliche Weiterbildung), which are run at the University. These courses can be attended at a very reasonable charge.

Re-Integration Assistance

If you return to your home country after your period at HU, you can make use of so-called re-integration programs, which offer useful general information, information on points of contact and on financial support prior to as well as after returning to your home country. A variety of societies, associations, and institutions offer re-integration programs in order to support the integration of graduates and other professional personnel (especially from developing countries). The ‘Centre for International Migration and Development’ (CIM) for example offers a ‘Returning Experts Program’. This program supports the professional integration, on completion of training measures, of experts from developing countries.


Keeping in Touch With HU After Graduation

If you would like to keep in touch with HU after graduation, you can register in the HU Alumni Portal, where you can find former fellow-students. Here you can also apply for a permanent HU e-mail address. As an alumnus you may for example also make use of the courses offered by the “Hochschulsport”.