Direkt zum InhaltDirekt zur SucheDirekt zur Navigation
▼ Zielgruppen ▼

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät

Frequently Asked Questions

This page offers some standard answers to many frequently asked questions about studying as an international student at the School of Business and Economics. Of course, if you feel your question hasn't been answered to your full satisfaction, please just send us an e-mail and we will try to expand on the explanation offered here.

If you are looking for answers to your questions about the MEMS program, stop right here and head over to the FAQs on the MEMS page, to be found here.


My home university does not have an agreement with HU. Can I still attend the School of Business and Economics as an exchange student?

Unfortunately not, as we do not accept so-called free-movers!

I am an exchange student at the School of Business and Economics. Which courses can I take?

You are totally free to take any course you can find in our faculty's course list, independent of your field and level of studies, at least from our side. Exchange students can choose courses on the Bachelor level (courses predominantly in German) and from the various Master programs (in English). Participation in any of the courses and lectures is possible without special enrollment. Thus, there is no need to decide on activities before you come to Berlin, with the exception of seminars (please contact the lecturer of the course if you are interested in attending a seminar). However, you should always check with your home university if they have any restrictions on your course selection.

How many ECTS do I get for one class?

In the course lists you can find the number of study points (SP). They are equivalent to ECTS. Usually, a lecture (once a week for 2 hours) counts for 3 ECTS. Sometimes there is a tutorial which counts for 3 ECTS as well. The tutorials are not selectable without the respective lecture. Please note that there are no credits for attendance, you'll have to pass an exam (or hand in a paper) at the end of the semester!

Where can I find the course list for the next term?

The course lists will be published about 1-2 months before the semester starts (see Studienbüro). The curriculum is subdivided into 2 sections: winter term and summer term. To choose your courses earlier, you can look at the old winter term lists for the winter term and on the old summer term lists for the summer term.

Are there lectures in English?

Yes, there are!! Most of our courses at Master level are taught in English and many of the Bachelor courses as well (mostly under "Vertiefungsgebiete"). Even when the lecture is held in German, you can always answer the exams in English!
Use the "kommentiertes Vorlesungsverzeichnis" to get all the information.

Do I have to sign up for the courses?

No, you do not have to sign up for the courses! You can just go to the first lecture. Later (January/June) you will have to register for the exams at www.agnes.hu-berlin.de. For seminars, you often times have to register at the institutes that offer them by sending an email to the lecturer (normally before the semester starts). However, deadlines and procedures differ for each seminar, so check the course list and the homepage of the institute offering the course for instructions!

How to translate the abbreviation in the course lists?

Use our glossary! See here.

When do the courses start?

The academic year at Humboldt-Universität is divided into two semesters: winter term from October to March and summer term from April to September. In winter term the courses start in the middle of October and in summer they start in the middle of April (see Dates and Deadlines for exact dates). Keep in mind that you will need to be in Berlin at least three weeks before the lectures start to enroll (you will receive a letter of acceptance with a specific date)!


After the end of the semesters the written exams are taken. The time periods for examinations vary. So please plan for at least one additional month at Humboldt-Universität if you would like to participate in the examinations.

When do I have to get my Learning Agreement signed?

We do not have a deadline for this. For us it's best if you only have the form signed after you are fully decided on your courses. But if your home university has an earlier deadline, just come to our office and we'll happily sign it for you.

As an exchange student, can I take classes at other departments of HU, or at TU, FU?

As a matter of fact you can. But you will need to ask the respective teacher of the course for permission. You should also check with the "Prüfungsbüro" at that department on how you to register for the class and how you will obtain a grade certificate. Again, just because we allow you to do something, that doesn't mean you will receive credit for it back home. Check with your home university if they are okay with it.

I'm an exchange student at the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, but not matriculated at the School of Business and Economics. Am I allowed to follow lectures at the School of Business and Economics?

You need written permission from the responsible professor to take part in an examination. Please contact the professor in ADVANCE before you take the course here. You will also need a special form for that. You may pick it up in the International Office during our office hours.

What is the TAN List and where will I get it?

The TAN list is needed to register for exams. It is basically the same system that you probably know from your online banking. It will be send to you via regular mail after enrollment. For this it vital that your correct address is known by HU. If you move, please change your address (at the SSC or by using this form) so that the mail will actually reach you. If you haven't gotten the TANs at the time when exam registration starts, you will also be able to get it directly from the "Prüfungsbüro" (Room 3 in our faculty building).

How can I extend my stay at the School of Business and Economics?

You need to contact your home university and ask for an official approval to extend your stay in Berlin (which has to be send to us). Acceptance cannot be guaranteed and depends, first, on if there are still places available in the bilateral agreements with the home universities, and then as well on our capacity constraints. If you are considering to apply for one further semester, please fill out the Verlängerungsantrag für Studierende and return it to the International Office no later than 15th of December. The home coordinator must also send us an e-mail stating that from their side it is fine.
Please note, that you can only extend your stay from winter to summer semester!

What is the language policy of the Master programs?

More than 90% of the courses in the Master programs are in English. Students usually have no problem finding enough courses in English during their first year at our School of Business and Economics. Learning German will of course, widen your choice of courses considerably since some courses are only offered in German. But most importantly, a good knowledge of the German language makes your integration into the school and the city a lot easier and more enjoyable. We offer German courses for students who would like to improve their skills. Remember though that a German certificate is asked for in the Business Sciences and Economics Programs.

Do I need to know German as a Master student?

Even though German is not necessary for admission of every program, knowing German will make your stay in Berlin more fun. That is why we strongly suggest that you learn German before coming to Germany. Some courses will only be held in German, however, the program is designed in a way that you can succeed without prior knowledge of the German language.

Do you offer German Language courses?

Yes, during the whole two year period of study, different levels of German courses are offered for a comparatively small fee at the Language Center of Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin. Please refer to their website for the most up-to-date schedule and course costs.

Are there tuition fees?

Education in Germany is financed by the government. This sponsorship holds for German students as well as for foreign students studying here. See our costs page for the information about living costs.

Are there any scholarships available for international students?

Unfortunately we cannot offer any grants. You will have to cover your living expenses (around 600,- Euro per month) by yourself. See our costs page. Please, check the DAAD website and www.stipendienlotse.de for possibilities to get financial aid.

Are there employment possibilities for international students?

There are limited possibilities for student employment in the faculty. Student employment at other places is generally possible but limited in duration.

Which professional opportunities do I have after graduation?

The job opportunities for our students are generally excellent, as they have gathered a rich background in both economic and management theory. Many of our students seek a career in management consulting, in the banking and investment industry, or in international management or economic research. However, your individual chances largely depend on how well you do in your studies and what additional qualifications and skills you have rather than just on the Master's degree. In the MEMS Program we have our own Career Center. Students can find general information about jobs and internships and information about positions opened specially for participants of our program.

Could you help me to find accommodation upon arrival in Berlin?

Yes, if you are not too late for the enrollment, we will certainly do our best to help you find an accommodation.