Direkt zum InhaltDirekt zur SucheDirekt zur Navigation
▼ Zielgruppen ▼

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät

Health and Safety

This site will list all the services and numbers we hope you never need to use but are glad to know if needed. You will also find here a few service numbers in case you lost something on the subway, are looking for an important phone number or are looking for an insurance that will actually cover the cost of your emergency.

  1. Emergency Assistance
  2. Doctors
  3. Hospitals
  4. Counseling and Support
  5. Insurances
  6. Important telephone numbers



Emergency Assistance

Should you have an emergency in Berlin, please dial the following numbers for help. They all work 24 hrs!



Police (Polizei)


Fire, Ambulance, Medical Emergency (Feuerwehr, Ambulanz, Notarzt)


Emergency On-Call Doctor (Bereitschaftsärzte)

(030) 31 00 31

Emergency On-Call Dentist (Bereitschaftszahnärzte)

(030) 89 00 43 33

Poison Control (Vergiftungserscheinungen)

(030) 192 40

Drug Emergency Hotline (Drogennotdienst)

(030) 192 37

Emergency Pharmacist (Apotheken-Notdienst)
Visit the website to find the after-hours pharmacy nearest to you. Pharmacies are locked after-hours; ring the bell and you will have to wait outside while you prescription is filled.

0800 00 22 8 33

International Health Line
Public service that offers referrals to doctors who speak various languages including English, French, Turkish, Russian, Italian etc.

(030) 31 00 32 22

Breakdown services

Power supply: Vattenfall
Gas: GASAG breakdown service
Water: breakdown service

If a breakdown service line for power, gas and water supply is not available in an emergency (strong smell of gas in your building, danger of a fire) the fire brigade should be called. As a matter of principle, the caretaker of the building must also be informed in an emergency.


(0180)  211 25 25
(030) 78 72 72
(0180) 292 75 87



There may come a time when you need to visit a doctor in Berlin. There are general practitioners (Hausärzte) and specialists. In general, you need to first see a general practitioner, who can then refer you to a specialist. You can search for a doctor in Berlin in the phone book or on the Gesundheit Berlin website under Ärzte.

A list of English-speaking doctors is available from the U.S. Embassy in Berlin. Your country’s consulate or embassy may also be able to refer you to doctors in Berlin who speak your native language.



There are several hospitals in Berlin. Some of the larger hospitals are listed here, but you may also search for the hospital or clinic nearest to you on the Gesundheit Berlin website under Krankenhäuser, Kliniken, Reha. Here is two hospitals close to the university:

Schumannstraße 20-21
10117 Berlin
Tel.: 030/ 450 53 10 00 or 030/ 450 50

Vivantes Klinikum im Friedrichshain
Landsberger Allee 49
10243 Berlin
Tel.: 030/ 130 23 17 00


Counseling and Support

The Studentenwerk Berlin provides counseling and support to students, including those from overseas. Managing one’s studies and personal life can be extremely stressful, in particular as an international student. The Studentenwerk is here to counsel students in a variety of areas in order to ease this stress and better their well-being.

The Counseling and Support department assists students in the following areas:

  • Social Counseling
    Counseling and support is available to students dealing with financial and social or legal problems, conflict situations, and also to students with children and during pregnancy. Financial support in the forms of loans and grants is additionally offered.
  • Psychological and Psychotherapeutic Counseling
    Assistance is provided through individual and group therapy to students dealing with such difficulties as depression, social inhibition, anxiety, psychosomatic symptoms, learning difficulties, and study-related stress. Couple counseling, pregnancy conflict assistance, and crisis management advising is also available.
  • Counseling for Disabled and Chronically Ill Students
    We offer support and counseling to disabled and chronically ill students who are seeking help with the organizing and financing of personal and technical assistance in their studies and everyday life, navigating various offices and institutions, personal problems and crisis situations, and with psychosocial questions. A resource pool is also run by the Studentenwerk, allowing students to borrow, at no cost, a number of technical devices to assist them.
  • RefRat: "Students advise Students"


We encourage you to take advantage of the counseling and support services! They are free of charge, available to all university and Fachhochschule students in Berlin, and also provided in English.


Crisis Hotline
(Berliner Telefon Seelsorge)

0800 111 0 111
0800 111 0 222

Telefon Doweria
Crisis hotline for Russian speakers

(030) 44 03  08 454

Berlin Aids Support Organisation
Counselling and support

(030) 19 4 11

Federal Counseling and Hotline Service for Women

(030) 32 29 95 00

Rape Crisis Hotline

(030) 216 88 88

BIG e.V. Hotline
Domestic Abuse Hotline

(030) 611 03 00



Having a household contents insurance (Hausratversicherung) can be extremely helpful in case of theft, fire or water damage, which may occur in a student's apartment or flat. Students renting a room may sometimes be required to have a household contents insurance. Incidentally, a bicycle would also be covered by this insurance.

A liability insurance (Haftpflichtversicherung) covers the holder if he/she causes an accident either just walking or riding a bicycle, or if he/she accidentally damages someone else's property or belongings. If a person has taken out a liability insurance in the home country, the policy will possibly provide cover in Germany, too. Precise information may be obtained from:

Federal Office for Financial Services Control, Section for Insurance Services Control
(Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht, Sektor Versicherungsaufsicht)

Tel.: (0228) 29 97 02 99

Personal liability of Humboldt students is not covered by the university. Students are encouraged to take out a comprehensive liability insurance to cover any liability risks which may arise from attending courses, taking part in study visits or excursions, internships, embarking on courses in non-university premises, also outside Germany.


Important telephone numbers

National enquiries

11 8 33

International enquiries

11 8 34

BVG (public transport) customer services

(030) 19 4 49

Central (public) lost property office
Platz der Luftbrücke 6
12101 Berlin

(030) 902 77 31 01