Direkt zum InhaltDirekt zur SucheDirekt zur Navigation
▼ Zielgruppen ▼

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät

Teaching and Research Abroad

There are many opportunities available to PhD candidates to study and research abroad during your PhD. It can be an invaluable experience and shed a whole new light on the project. There are libraries and laboratories around the world just waiting to be discovered regardless of your research area. What is more, studying and researching abroad is a fantastic occasion to meet and network with other researchers in a similar field and attend events and conferences which would be harder to reach from home. Likewise it is a new exposure to different scholarly traditions and potentially new methodologies.

With this page the International Office provides you with information on how to finance your stay. Every time that we stumble upon an interesting funding opportunuty for HU staff going abroad, we will post it here. Please forgive us that this page is not really up to date and far away from completeness. Use it as a first impulse for the money hunt!



Funding Opportunities from Humboldt-Universität


Research Service Centre

The Research Service Centre is the main point of contact at the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin on all research matters. It provides researchers with comprehensive and effective support in all aspects of their individual and collaborative research activities. This support ranges from the initial acquisition and management of third-party funding to the transfer of research findings, e.g. via the foundation of innovative companies. The Research Service Centre works closely with Humboldt-Innovation GmbH in this particular field.

Just contact the friendly staff, they will be able to help you: https://www.hu-berlin.de/en/research/szf/foerderung_beratung

They even have a special department to counsel young scientitst. Ms Uta Hoffmann is the contact person for you: www.hu-berlin.de/en/research/szf/wiss_nachwuchs


Central International Office Support



Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Gesellschaft (WWG) at HU's School of Business and Economics

The Society promotes through active contributions, such as the organization of conferences and meetings, ensuring scholarships and support for research projects, the performance of the faculty. Students are supported through travel grants.

Research Fellowships

The Economics Society at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin gives limited research fellowships to outstanding young scientists to support their doctoral studies A selection is made in the context of admission to the doctoral programs of the Faculty.

Travel Grants

The Economics Society at the Humboldt University of Berlin e.V. gives limited travel grants for study visits in non-german-speaking countries. Applications with cover letter, including justification, proof of previous academic work and CV should be sent to the Managing Director.

Contact Person: Frau Prof. Dr. Andrea Plinke, Email: wwg@wiwi.hu-berlin.de.

More information: www.wiwi.hu-berlin.de/de/wwg


University Partnerships

Humboldt-Universität provides a wide range of funding lines to support initiatives to establish and foster an international network. There are various ways in which financial or organizational support may be obtained in teaching or research mobility. Often, there are funding opporunities within a university partnership Contact the "Regionalreferent" for the specific region and ask for opportunities:


One especially well funded program line is the DAAD Ostpartnerschaften-Programm. More information is here: https://www.international.hu-berlin.de/de/forschende/ins-ausland/forschungsaufenthalte/ostpartnerschaften

More information: www.international.hu-berlin.de/de/forschende


Teaching Abroad with Erasmus+

The ERASMUS mobility program provides the opportunity to visit one of our partner universities in other European countries for a teaching assignment. It may be mere teaching visits, but it is desirable that you combine the teaching with other university activities (development of common teaching materials, joint research activities and publications u.a.m.) and participate in the academic life of the partner university. More info (in German):


ERASMUS+ worldwide

The objectives of Erasmus+ worldwide are the promotion of stays abroad in study, teaching and training and strengthening the internationalization and the international academic exchanges with partner countries outside the EU. ERASMUS+ worldwide is a program for mobility grants for students and staff at the Humboldt University from and to non-EU partner countries (approximately 80% of incoming and 20% outgoing). It supports stays abroad for study, teaching and training with a monthly grant of 800,- €/ month (incoming) or 650,- €/ month (outgoing) for Bachelor and Master students and PhD.  Staff mobility will be supported on daily rates of 120 € for incoming and 160 € for outgoings from HU. Travel expenses will be reimbursed too (between 500 and 1000,- €).

Mobility grants from and to academic partners outside the European Union. More information see Erasmus+ Mobility with Partner Countries - Brochure and www.international.hu-berlin.de/en/wissenschaftler/ins-ausland/erasmus-international.


Info Websites and External Funding

We found a couple of external webpages that might help you getting a grasp of what you need to do.


Kurzstipedien für Doktorandinnen und Doktoranden – DAAD (Short scholarships for PhD students)

Program objective: This scholarship program offers the opportunity to conduct research as a part of a doctoral project for a shorter time abroad and scientific qualifcations further.

Who can apply: Applications are open to above-average qualifications PhD students doing a doctorate at a German university. PhD fellows cannot apply for a foreign promotion.

What will be funded: Research projects abroad that are part of a promotion. The research can be carried out at a university, a non-university research institution or in an industrial research laboratory.


Or see the project based exchange programs: https://www.daad.de/hochschulen/programme-weltweit/mobilitaet/ppp/de/23482-forschungsmobilitaet-programme-des-projektbezogenen-personenaustauschs-ppp/


Stipendienlotse des BMBF

The Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) provides an interactive platform to find the appropriate grant for you based on your request criteria. The extensive scholarship database can be filtered according to many different criteria such as training periods, study subjects or target regions. The “Stipendienlotse” is the central contact point for nationwide and international scholarships in private and public sectors.

For example Stipendienlotse des BMBF: The „Stipendienlotse“ helps you to find the right funding opportunity for your study abroad.



Euraxess Deutschland

The initiative of the European Commission to increase mobility in science, provides a European network and a comprehensive job portal. If you're planning to stay in a european country you can find local contacts at EURAXESS Services who will assist you in preparing your stay.

“We inform and consult internationally mobile researchers who want to go to another country or coming for a scientific activity to Germany . On this website you will find information on funding opportunities , job opportunities , social security and tax issues and other topics related to the mobility of researchers.”




"We offer a unique access point to research funding opportunities worldwide, and links to projects supporting the EU policy dialogue with those countries that have a science and technology agreement with the European Union."



Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
Europe Research Stay

During the sponsorship period, research fellows may spend time at research institutions in other European countries (with the exception of their own country) if it is necessary for carrying out the research project.



Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes

PhD Scholarships: PhD fellows who travel for research, laboratory or conference stays abroad receive, at a request grants for scholarship for travel and living expenses and registration fees.



Funding Institutions and Academic Societies

There is also the possibility of applying to a funding institution to research abroad. Academic societies also offer grants for international research or travel so it is worth keeping an eye out for their announcements.

For example, the Arts and Humanities Research Councel runs the "International Placement Scheme" allowing their funded students to spend six months at institutions such as the Library of Congress. Similarly, the Leverhulme Trust runs "Study Abroad Studentships". You will have to spend some time researching the various societies to see if your project fits into the funing lines.


Marie-Skłodowska-Curie-Maßnahmen (MSCA)

Marie Sklodowska-Curie-Actions ( MSC-Actions), named after the two-time Nobel Prize winner, supporting researchers at all stages of their careers, regardless of their nationality. For a grant Researchers from all disciplines are eligible, from emergency medicine to basic research. The MSCA also support industrial doctorates, i.e.  a combination of academic research and work in a company, as well as other innovative training that improve employability and career development.


Individual Fellowships (IF)

Types of individual Fellowships:

1. European Fellowships

  • In the EU or associated countries
  • For researchers who come to europe or eurpean researchers who want to research in another eurpoean country

2. Non-European Fellowships

  • Financing a posting of an EU based researcher outside the EU.
  • Scholars must return after a year.

Who can apply: The best and most promising researchers from around the world. Only experienced researchers can apply. Requirement is a doctorate or at least four years of research experience on a full time basis at the expiry of the call deadline.

What will be funded: The scholarship covers living expenses, travel expenses and family-related costs. The grant goes to the host device, typically a university, research center or a company in Europe. The research and overhead costs of the host institution(s) are included in the scholarship.


Administrative staff going abroad

If you are an administrator with HU and want to visit an ERASMUS partner university, please get in touch with the hosting unit first. Often, universities in Europe host information weeks to which representatives from partner universities are invited. The information on those weeks is available directly from the partners or from Dr. Dietmar Buchmann of the International Office (dietmar.buchmann[at]hu-berlin.de). If you are an planning to travel outside the ERASMUS program, please get in touch with the International Office directly, aia@hu-berlin.de.

Within the framework of ERASMUS+ worldwide grants: https://www.international.hu-berlin.de/de/mitarbeiter/ins-ausland/erasmus